phpCOIN

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Keep it simple
rackbox
  Posted: October 14, 2009 03:02 pm
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,020

I have been using phpCoin for a while now (excluding my todays problem with login), playing with it on a daily basis for last few weeks. Before I have made my decision what software I want to use for my web hosting billing management I have used the following: WHMCS, AWBS and phpCoin.
I have had WHMCS & AWBS installed by the providers, customer support was slow but ok.
But the biggest problem was that they are not easy to use, believe it or not. They are overloaded with account creation options and server panel integration. I could not do simple website to sell my services over a weeks time. Therefore I'm back with phpCoin. I can install it myself, interface is maybe oldschool style, but I did use ZX Spectrum and did program in Basic with Key Shortcuts, so I can deal with metodical approach :-). What I want to say guys is that you should keep it simple as it is with no integration built in for WHM/cpanel or anything else as standard. I would definitely put more effort in the looks of it. 7Diana thames are brilliant but but they are not part of it and they are old.
Keep up good job, once I'll get few clients I'll get the licence!
PMEmail Poster
lightman
Posted: October 14, 2009 03:28 pm
Quote Post

The Janitor

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Your feedback is invaluable - thank you for taking the time to let us know your perspective, especially after having hands on experience of comparing phpCOIN against other products.

The phpCOIN philosophy has always been to provide a 'modular' add-on system so that users can deploy as little/much as they wanted.

A number of add-ons were developed by contributors and made available for download on the phpCOIN site, but, over time, many of these add-ons were abandoned by their developers and it was found to be easier to integrate them into the phpCOIN source code rather than have to upgrade them individually - an example was the IPN integration that used to be an add-on but has now been included for several versions.

Integration with cPanel is still very current with the WHM add-on, but there are no plans to bundle it into any of the versions.

There is no denying that phpCOIN has become more complex in response to the feedback from users as to their requirements, but we hope that the basic package is still simple enough to deploy whilst also containing a rich feature set that can be implemented at the users discretion.

It is a shame that we have seen so little code, translations, add-ons or themes contributed by phpCOIN users over the past couple of years, but perhaps the market for a free billing system is predominantly attracting only novice web-hosts, who wouldn't know where to start in terms of contributing anything anyway.

Of course - there is also the emerging culture of "Take whatever one can and give nothing back" which is increasingly being noticed throughout the open source and free software world - hopefully, the subscribers to this way of thinking will eventually "grow up" and come to realize that in the open source and free software communities - "The more you give - the more you get" !

My heartfelt thanks to all those regular contributors that update their code, translations, add-ons or themes every time we release a new version, and to all those users that make the effort to give us constructive feedback, or help out in the forums, or on the docs site.

--------------------
***** Unless otherwise stated, all replies refer to the following *****
====================================================================
--- The latest unmodified version of phpCOIN available from the phpCOIN download page on the date and time of this post.
--- All relevant HotFix files applied - One of the four included unmodified themes - The original language files .
--- Help will be given to install/configure/use phpCOIN, but not programming help to modify phpCOIN operations. If you are competent enough to make programming changes, you should be competent enough to read the source code and figure things out :)
PM
rackbox
Posted: October 14, 2009 04:41 pm
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,020

You just made me realise what open source is! And I think, many of us including myself think open source = free, and if free is excellent we will donate few quid.
I'm feeling the guilt now, because nothing stops me to make new thame and share it, instead of complaining that you guys haven't done one.
Looks like lots of work ahead of me...
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Inscrita el Registro Mercantil de Mallorca Tomo 2140, Hoja No. PM-51034, Folio 135
This website owned and operated by: Technology Services RPVW S.L. CIF# B57345084
Avda Constitucion 48 Bajos Alaro 07340 Baleares SPAIN
Tel:+34 971518362    Fax: +34 971518368    eMail: support@phpcoin.com